Is is possible to add extra Fast Ethernet Card In cisco 2811 router

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2008

Hi All,

Please help me on this we have 2811 router version 12.4(13r)T. There was four emptt HWIC slots on this and we need to add WIC-1ENET on existing HWIC slot. After connecting into WIC-1ENET into HWIC slot router not detecting the card.

Please help me that which IOS will support for nthis and how much flash it required.

Regards

Sivaji.P

Mobile:+91 9885389975

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 05/30/2008 - 17:15

No IOS supports wic-1enet. You need an hwic-1fe, to have a third lan port, or use subinterfac on the existing ones and a switch with vlan support .

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Sushil Kumar Katre Mon, 06/02/2008 - 23:01

Hi Shivaji,

WIC-1ENET is supported only on 1700 series routers.

Its not supported on any other router hence not getting detected on your 2800.

You can either go for HWIC-4ESW or HWIC-1FE deppending on whether you need layer 2 or layer 3 interface, number of interfaces required and cost.

ESW - Layer 2

FE - Layer 3

-> Sushil

Joseph W. Doherty Tue, 06/03/2008 - 03:39

Besides the option of Ethernet in a HWIC port, whether single port or multi-port, you also have the option of using an Ethernet network module in the 2811.

PS:

I'm not this is true for all multi-port Ethernet, whether NM or HWIC, but they often (always?) support L3 for a VLAN SVI. However, there might be some other features that are unavailable except on a single or dual port Ethernet like the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE (2FE not supported in the 2800 series).

Sushil Kumar Katre Tue, 06/03/2008 - 03:46

Hi Joseph,

You are absolutely correct. My point was that on HWIC-4FE you cannot assign IP Address on the physical interface. We need to use SVIs and VLANs.

+ there are few features which are not supported on the HWIC modules.

Just wanted to make Shivaji aware of this.

Thanks for your inputs.

-> Sushil

Actions

This Discussion