Is is possible to add extra Fast Ethernet Card In cisco 2811 router

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi All,

Please help me on this we have 2811 router version 12.4(13r)T. There was four emptt HWIC slots on this and we need to add WIC-1ENET on existing HWIC slot. After connecting into WIC-1ENET into HWIC slot router not detecting the card.

Please help me that which IOS will support for nthis and how much flash it required.

Regards

Sivaji.P

Mobile:+91 9885389975

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
paolo bevilacqua Fri, 05/30/2008 - 17:15
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

No IOS supports wic-1enet. You need an hwic-1fe, to have a third lan port, or use subinterfac on the existing ones and a switch with vlan support .

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Sushil Kumar Katre Mon, 06/02/2008 - 23:01
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Shivaji,

WIC-1ENET is supported only on 1700 series routers.

Its not supported on any other router hence not getting detected on your 2800.

You can either go for HWIC-4ESW or HWIC-1FE deppending on whether you need layer 2 or layer 3 interface, number of interfaces required and cost.

ESW - Layer 2

FE - Layer 3

-> Sushil

Joseph W. Doherty Tue, 06/03/2008 - 03:39
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more

Besides the option of Ethernet in a HWIC port, whether single port or multi-port, you also have the option of using an Ethernet network module in the 2811.

PS:

I'm not this is true for all multi-port Ethernet, whether NM or HWIC, but they often (always?) support L3 for a VLAN SVI. However, there might be some other features that are unavailable except on a single or dual port Ethernet like the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE (2FE not supported in the 2800 series).

Sushil Kumar Katre Tue, 06/03/2008 - 03:46
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Joseph,

You are absolutely correct. My point was that on HWIC-4FE you cannot assign IP Address on the physical interface. We need to use SVIs and VLANs.

+ there are few features which are not supported on the HWIC modules.

Just wanted to make Shivaji aware of this.

Thanks for your inputs.

-> Sushil

Actions

This Discussion