Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP design

Jan Rockstedt
Level 1
Level 1

We have 15 switches in one of our LAN.

2 are VTP servers and 13 are VTP client in the same VTP domain, version 2.

What are the recomendation about the VTP server and domain?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to have more then one VTP server in one domain?

Regards Jan Rockstedt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry Jan but i don't see how the 2 are connected. A VTP server is purely a switch that will propogate vlan information to other switches but it wouldn't propogate access-map information.

Could you explain a bit more.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jan

The major advantage of having 2 VTP servers is for redundancy. If one of the switches fails you still have a VTP server to create and propogate new vlan information. There is no real disadvantage as far as i am aware of having 2 VTP servers as long as access to these switches is granted to the same set of people.

Jon

Jon,

If we need a access-map on the VLAN, do we need to creat this on both VTP servers?

//Jan

Sorry Jan but i don't see how the 2 are connected. A VTP server is purely a switch that will propogate vlan information to other switches but it wouldn't propogate access-map information.

Could you explain a bit more.

Jon

I didnt know that VTP are only will propogate vlan information. Sorry.

/Jan

Jan

No need to apologize, this is what NetPro is for to learn new things.

Many thanks for the rating.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco