cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Cisco 1841 as Two indipendent routers

amedeocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, If I Have an SHDSL Interface in the slot0 and a Serial Interface in Slot1, can I configure the router to "link" Interface0 to FastEthernet0 and Interface1 to FastEthernet1 ??

Regards

Amedeo

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VRF can do that, and pretty much PBR too. Which problem are you trying to solve ?

thanks for the reply. I would like to remove the cisco 1721 and use only the 1841 for the two connections, but I want them indipendent. No failover.

Both methods would work, familiarize your self with concepts and commands from documentation then choose what suits you better.

Just to add to Paolo's post.

VRF will mean that you have 2 logical routers within the same router. You have separate routing tables and you can assign your interfaces to their particular vrf. This is complete logical separation.

PBR (Policy Based Routing) allows you to override the routing table to direct the router to the send certain packets one way and other packets another way regardless of what the IGP routing table says. Key thing to note is that there is only one routing table unlike VRF.

PBR is probably easier to setup but if you need complete isolation VRF is the way to go.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card