cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS interface

eliaspaulos
Level 1
Level 1

is there any way to configure the router to show the host name instead of the ip address on MPLS connection? like when you do show ip bgp neigh to see neighbor host name.it possible to see on frame-relay or T1 but not MPLS. I'm new for MPLS. any help!!! thanks in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elias,

What i meant from my initial reply was that there is no extra requirements with MPLS on CE side, thus nothing should be different between having MPLS or Frame-Relay service from the CE prospective. As for your query AFAIK this is possible for OSPF (using the "ip ospf name-lookup" command) and also built in within ISIS (Dynamic Hostname TLV (type 137) which can be disabled via the "no hostname dynamic" command), but for BGP i don't know, but sometimes i play with regexp to get similar output, ex: "show ip bgp ne | i Desc|nei|state|Pref", this should be useful if you have added description per neighbor.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Elias

Can you post the output of the same about which you are talking out here..

regds

sh ip bgp

*> 10.30.133.0/24 10.50.254.91 0 1803 65137 i

*> 10.40.148.0/24 10.50.254.91 0 1803 65102 i

*> 10.52.0.0/19 10.50.254.91 0 1803 65176 i

so the network address on the left is my routers on other locations.let say when one of my router is down.here my question I want to identify the router by it's host name instead of the network number.easily to track down the router.

sorry for the confusion.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Elias,

Kindly correct me if i am wrong, i have the feeling that you are talking about a CE, and generally a CE router is not MPLS aware and it shouldn't have any special requirements.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

on my main core router for MPLS.

when do show ip interface summary or show ip bgp neigh. I see all the interfaces for my mpls connection. but the connections show the ip address for all neighbor ip address.

my question is is there possibility to configuration to setup to able to see the host name of the neighbor instead of just the ip address.

Thanks

Elias,

What i meant from my initial reply was that there is no extra requirements with MPLS on CE side, thus nothing should be different between having MPLS or Frame-Relay service from the CE prospective. As for your query AFAIK this is possible for OSPF (using the "ip ospf name-lookup" command) and also built in within ISIS (Dynamic Hostname TLV (type 137) which can be disabled via the "no hostname dynamic" command), but for BGP i don't know, but sometimes i play with regexp to get similar output, ex: "show ip bgp ne | i Desc|nei|state|Pref", this should be useful if you have added description per neighbor.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammed...great answer!! I will try it, thank you so much for your precious time!!!!!!!

Elias,

You are very welcomed, enjoy :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco