cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS on 4948 Switch

connectone
Level 4
Level 4

I just purchased a 4948 switch and with 3750 and below all I had to do was get the new IOS img into the flash directory and issue the command boot system flash:imgname. Save config and reload.

I copied the new IOS on the 4948 into the bootflash directory. There is two files, the original and the new img. Even though I put the command boot system flash bootflash:imgname it still boots into the original IOS img that came with the switch.

I realy want to upgrade this to the latest release and I am having a hard time trying to find the upgrade instructions on Cisco's site. Can anyone help with this.

I also entered the command boot bootldr bootflash:imgname and saved the config. Still boots into the original IOS that shipped with the switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Frank

Are you logged in via the console. When the switch reloads does it try to load your new IOS or does it just go straight to the original one ?

Your boot system flash statement. It is the only one in the config or is there one for the original IOS as well. They are tried in the order they appear in the config.

Jon

connectone
Level 4
Level 4

I have figured it out. I had the boot variables correct, but with the config register set to 0x2101 (default on switch) it loads the first file in bootflash and ignored the boot variables. When I changed the config register to 0x2102 it booted the img that I said to in the boot statement.

I finally had found a document on Cisco site.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_9592.html#wp466820

obipretty_8
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I've experience this problem please try this command

boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i9k91s-mz.122-25.EWA6.bin pri

reload

Please tell me if it doesnt work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card