cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Controller can configure as ACTIVE-ACTIVE

manojdubey02
Level 1
Level 1

Customer is looking for two numbers WLAN Controller (AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9). And they want to configure as ACTIVE-ACTIVE. I would like to know whether it can be configuring as ACTIVE-ACTIVE.

And Is really require WLAN Controller for AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 access point ? or it can be configure without WLAN controller ?

Please revert me ASAP

Regards,

Manoj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Manoj,

In the WLC world this is how an AP is covered in case one WLC fails. It is not without some "downtime" in case of failure but both Controllers are active. You have to keep in mind that an AP can only be registered to one WLC at a time so this is the best that you can do :) When one WLC fails the AP then has to re-register with the backup, this is not a completly seemless process.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Manoj,

Although WLC Controllers can be configured in an Active-Active type redundancy, you don't need the WLC for small deployments. The AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 access point can be setup in Autonomous or Stand-alone mode as well :)

Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points 12.3(7)JA

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/i1237sc.html

Cisco Aironet 1200 Series Access Point Hardware Installation Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/installation/guide/1200-TD-Book-Wrapper.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

please can you provide me link to configured in an Active-Active type redundancy WLAN controller

Regards,

Manoj

Hi Rob,

Is required any license to configured in an Active-Active type redundancy.

If yes, then how can i get the license for these 2 WLAN controller ? ( or its should come with BOX bydeafult)

Thanks,

manoj Dubey

Hi

You do not need any special license. Simply put two WLC in on the same mobility group and they will load balance and failover AP.

Cheers

Greg

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Manoj,

This has some really good info;

WLAN Controller Failover for Lightweight Access Points Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml#c4

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for ur support/Help. Here we can define controllers in each access point as a primary/secondry /tra. Its means one WLC got fail then other WLC will take over. I think, its not means both are active-active. So its means one WLC can active at a time ...

Please let me know whether i m worng or right.

Thanks,

Manoj

Hi Manoj,

In the WLC world this is how an AP is covered in case one WLC fails. It is not without some "downtime" in case of failure but both Controllers are active. You have to keep in mind that an AP can only be registered to one WLC at a time so this is the best that you can do :) When one WLC fails the AP then has to re-register with the backup, this is not a completly seemless process.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card