can a CCIE download any IOS without service contract?

Unanswered Question
Jun 1st, 2008
User Badges:

Hi Folks.

I'm a CCIE with valid service contracts, so I can download IOS.But i'll leave my job soon, so wondering if i'll loose ability to download IOS without any services contracts.

cheers

oliv

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tperrier Mon, 06/02/2008 - 00:21
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

You always need a contract, CCIE or not.

shiva_ial Mon, 06/02/2008 - 04:25
User Badges:

hi,

CCIE can download ios but you should have got lab exam completed and your CCIE number

rate if it helps

rgds/shiva

Olivier ARRIGHI Mon, 06/02/2008 - 06:25
User Badges:

Well i'm a valid CCIE, I have my number (just recertified).So do you think then I can download IOS without contract? Some people say yes, other say no...

cheers

andrew.burns Mon, 06/02/2008 - 07:51
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi,

There are two parts to this question, the first is whether you can download software directly from Cisco's web site (e.g. from the software center) and the answer to this is that you can as long as a valid service contract is attached to your CCO profile.

The second part is whether, having downloaded some software (such as an IOS image) you are allowed to use it on a particular device. Generally, as long as you have a valid service contract for that device and you are not changing the feature set then it should be allowed, but check out this page for details (especially the part about best practices):

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/licensing.shtml

HTH

Andrew.

paul.matthews Mon, 06/02/2008 - 07:57
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

CCIE does NOT bring download priviledges - you need a service contract for that.

svermill Mon, 06/02/2008 - 08:19
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi Oliv,

Will you be going independent? What I have found is that associating the service contracts of my clients to my profile is a possibility. I have my own SmartNet on a c877 router, so I don't really need to do this for download purposes. But when I need to open a case against one of their devices, I work either directly with Cisco TAC or the account team supporting the client to make the association. I have done this in as little as 10 minutes. So you have some options to consider...

Cheers,

Scott

Actions

This Discussion