cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FOR A CCIE

petersrule2003
Level 1
Level 1

I just passed my ccie written exam on may 31 2008 ,, and i have a lab date for jan 15 2009,, can any ccie available tell me how to maximize the time i have left and pass first time.Ill like to thank sam or cisco_lad2004 - Network Engineer, Sonofon, who replied my post about 2 mothns ago when i was a ccnp.Any ccie pls reply

9 Replies 9

shiva_ial
Level 1
Level 1

Hi peter,

you have posted your query on switching forum which has to be on certification forum.

there is an archive in cisco website where you will get all answers

just check

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Career%20Certifications&topic=Certifications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cbffabc

rate if it helps

rgds/shiva

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Peter

Congrats on passing 1st hurdle !!

My advice for next step is as follows:

1-lookup blue prints.

2-Use blue prints to work out a schedule aiming to gain hands on on each topic.

3-start setting urself deadlines on when u aim to be done with blue prints ....1st round :-)

4-To gain hands on either get it own lab or find an online one. Dynampis are very good too, but some times bugged.

5-join a study group or find a study partner, its gonna be a marathon and u need a partner.

6-leave no stone unturned. work on speed, there will not be time to dwell on a topic so know ur configs "eyes closed".

7-Aim beyond CCIE, meaning becoming a good enginner...then CCIE will complement you.

8-2009 might be long way , but it will catch up on you. so set strict but realistic deadlines to avoid stress.

9-aim to be ready before Jan 2009, this will abvoid last minute stress...cos there will be last minute stress.

10-Start using Cisco doc page, get used to naviguate it.

best of luck !

Sam

Hi sam i passed the CCIE on march 2009 on first attempt thanks for all you advice.

Congrats Peter and welcome to the club !

Another advice if I may, as you as you have rested...get back on your horse and go for SP track whiel you are still warm. Me I rested a bit too long...not sure when I will be able to get back on that sadle again :-)

Sam

Hi Sam ,

I am currently pursuing the security track , i hope to take the written part sometime in august.

Thanks again Sam

Peter

bs6825
Level 1
Level 1

Peter,

Sam had some good comments and I would like to emphasize a couple. #1 Read the blue print. Not only read it, read it over and over, print it out. Know what to expect. If in doubt study it.

Know how to do things multiple ways. Some times the way you are comfortable with may not be doable given some other portion of the test.

Get out of your head any questions of "Why would they have me do that? it would be easier to do it this way." The test is a test of skills, not a real world network.

Practice, practice, practice. (I know thats an old quote and I can't remember now who should get the credit.)

Sam also mentioned practice labs, very good idea. I used one and it worked well. I wont endorse any product here, so look around.

Dynamips os very good for the routing part. Need practice on switching also. After all it is Routing and Switching.

A lab partner is good, but do not let him/her stop you. If you use a partner, do not rely on them. It is your test.

On test day, get there early. I don't know about traffic at RTP, but it is horrible in San Jose. Arrive the day before the test and drive by the test location. I have been lost a few times in the San Jose Cisco complex. Relax and watch your time, hours spent getting 3 points takes away from getting 15 or more. You do not have to score 100%.

Good Luck!

crmiddle8
Level 1
Level 1

Congrats! Now you begin the fun journey.

I am assuming that you are going for R&S. You didn't leave yourself a ton of time so I would recommend Internetwork Expert COD and more importantly the workbooks. What I did was go through the COD and take extensive notes, work through all the vol 1 labs. Go through the COD again take more notes, go through the vol 2 workbook. At this point, I took my first attempt and failed. So the next important step for me was going to Netmasters for the 1 week boot camp (part2). This will teach you how to have a strategy (which is hugely important) and not get stuck down a rat hole. After I got back from that, I took 1-2 mock labs (netmasters and internetwork experts) to get used to the time pressure, I studied the cisco CD that you will have access to (to make sure I knew where to find things) and took it. Passed on 2nd attempt.

With such a short timeframe to work, its going to mean long hours and some $$.

I hope that helps.

Craig Middlebrooks,CCIE#17623

hi Craig,

forum admins forgive for posting on switching section

i am also on same track to do ccie

can i have your opinion.

i am starting as ccnp and i know the concepts very well

just advice how long will it take for preparation on reality if i sincerely concentrate for 2-3 hrs in a day

just as a year or 1year 6 months something ?

but not generic answer

rgds/shiva

if possible can i have your mail id

HI Congrats!!

I am also going for my Labs CCIE Voice, and thought of this boot camp at Winnet, Instrutor is Harith. Can you advice me if this is a good choice? Have anyone gone through this boot Camp please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card