cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP on ASA

j98me2
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to setup an ASA as a PPTP server. I know it was possible on the PIX, but I am not sure about the ASA. I hate to do it but to date we are just having to may issues with the IPSEC client with vista and we have 64 bit systems.

6 Replies 6

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

PPTP support was discontinued in 7.x code on both the ASA and PIX (AFAIK).

However ASA/PIX 7.2.x supports L2TP over IPSec, you can use that if you wan't. But 'Vista' being the pain it is, I doubt this would help you that much. IMHO a better approach would be to post the issues you are having on Vista and get them resolves. Or better yet, if you have the TAC support option, run that in parallel with queries on the forum.

Also SSL VPNs are also a good option as long as you can ensure appropriate licensing/Vista support.

Regards

Farrukh

Farrukh

Thanks for the quick response, I have been round and round with TAC, but the problems persist. I also have a number of 64 bit machines that are not even supported.

Originally it was set up to terminate on a server with PPTP pass through. I am trying to get away from it, but not making a whole lot of progress.

Perhaps I should try the SSL route.

Yes that could be a nice way to go, considering the low security provided by alogorithms like RC4 used by these old VPN technologies.

However for SSL VPN I would recommened the ASA platform and not the IOS, the IOS implementation seems to lag way behind and seems to be buggy, I was playing with it at work today.

Regards

Farrukh

j98me2
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried using the windows client to the ASA with Vista?

I will be terminating it at the ASA, Have you tried any connect?

Does anyone know if it runs on 64 Vista or only 32?

I've personally not implemented any SSL VPNs (or VPNs for that matter) on Vista, but this is what the release notes say:

"In addition, x64 or x86 processors are supported for Windows XP and Windows Vista. "

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect22/release/notes/anyconnect22rn.html#wp734861

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: