Views
Helpful
Replies

3750-246PS - 12.2.25 - default route vs inter-vlan routing

mstyszynski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

with interconnecting the Cat3750(C3750-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M,Version 12.2(25)SEE4 with a distribution Cat6509(with MSFC card) that gives us access to a gateway router.

Between the two switches we only use switchport access mode with the same vlan-id on both sides.

Both switches have the corresponding L3 level through an SVI definition. The 3750 is configured also with a default 0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 to the next hope ip address(on the 6509). The extended ping executed to a network behind the gateway from the 3750 is fine when we source the ping from the vlan-id that interconnects the two switches but is 100% failed when we change the source SVI to a different one. It looks like a strange inter-vlan routing issue but for all locally defined VLANs and SVIs it works perfectly fine. Have you ever had such strange issues with the 3750s?

Thank you for your feedbacks.

Michal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying you have multiple SVI's on both the 6500 and the 3750 ?

If so unless you tell the 6500 how to route to the other SVI's on your 3750 then you will not be able to ping.

So you could run a routing protocol between your 3750's and your 6500 so they know about each others SVI's.

If you do have SVI's on both switches can i ask why you have interconnected them with a L2 vlan and not used routed ports ?

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying you have multiple SVI's on both the 6500 and the 3750 ?

If so unless you tell the 6500 how to route to the other SVI's on your 3750 then you will not be able to ping.

So you could run a routing protocol between your 3750's and your 6500 so they know about each others SVI's.

If you do have SVI's on both switches can i ask why you have interconnected them with a L2 vlan and not used routed ports ?

Jon

Hi Jon , thanks for your prompt reply and you are absolutely right according the wrong configuration on the 65xx. If you don't tell the 65xx how to route back to other SVIs it won't work. Looks like I'm pretty tired today and thank you for lighting my brain:)

Kind regards ,

Michal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: