Views
Helpful
Replies

Move MPE 1.2 To New Server, then upgrade to 2.0

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello all -

I checked here on the forum as well as Cisco.com and was unable to find anything specific to moving MeetingPlace Express to a new server. I found the 1.2 maintenance guide which refers to taking a backup, but fails to discuss how to restore. It says it prompts you and the script is self-explanatory, but I am unconvinced without having better documentation - also before touching our production system. Here is my specific scenario:

- MPE 1.2 running on 7835 (doesn't have enough CPU to manage 26 web sessions with desktop sharing enabled. Server also expired from SmartNet without our knowledge, duh)

- Have new 7845 dual CPU server we are purchasing SmartNet/UCSS maintenance to for MPE (which will allow me to get version 2 license for upgrade)

- Need to backup existing MPE 1.2 system due to reoccuring scheduled meetings and user information

- Need to install MPE 1.2 on new server with trial license. Will move licenses over to new server MAC as well as 2.0 upgrade license

- Restore MPE 1.2 from backup and test

- On a different weekend, upgrade MPE to version 2.0.

Checking here to see if anyone has done a similar process and any caveats? I believe the mpxsystem database name needs to be the same to restore from backup. If this were Unity, I'd feel very comfortable with DiRT and moving Unity to another server. I would appreciate your expertise and advice if you have performed such a change before. Any additional caveats or published documentation I might have missed also appreciated!

Sincerely, Ginger

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Ginger,

Sorry I do not have any screen shots. I have been through this before sometime ago on a customer case. I just followed the documentation. Let me know if you have any questions.

Shem

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sswerkes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ginger,

I recall an issue in 1.1, but I'm not sure of any in 1.2. There is a script that should be used for restoring data:

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/meetingplace_express/1_2/english/administration_/guide/cm12mnt.html#wp1059740

About Restoring the Data

Restoring the data recreates database server data from backed-up storage spaces and logical log files. You may need to restore your data if you need to replace a failed disk that contains database server data, if there is a logic error in a program that has corrupted the database, if you need to move your database server data to a new computer, or if a user accidentally corrupts or destroys data.

To restore data up to the time of the failure, you must have at least one L0 backup. The restore is done using the Informix command called ontape. Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express provides a script called restore.sh that guides you through the restore process. The script is in the $MP_DATABASE/db-maintenance directory.

Thank you,

Shem

Hi Shem -

Sorry for the delay in responding, I just saw your post today! Thank you very much for confirming this process - I had found the same information on cisco.com. Have you ever run through this process, and if so, can you send me screenshots?

Sincerely, Ginger

Hey Ginger,

Sorry I do not have any screen shots. I have been through this before sometime ago on a customer case. I just followed the documentation. Let me know if you have any questions.

Shem

Awesome! Thank you for your quick response :-)

Sincerely,

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: