Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up VTP and VLAN Routing.

lacox3131
Level 1
Level 1

HI.

I have 3 6509s, 2 switches are layer 3 and one can only support layer 2. The 2 Layer 3 6509s are acting as Distribution and Access layer switches. (Please see attached diagram). I want to setup VTP and make 211-6509-1 the VTP server and the other two clients. The question I have is, how will this change effect traffic patterns at layer 3.

6 Replies 6

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

VTP just allows you to administer creation and deletion of vlans from a single place. IT will not cause any change in the traffic patterns for the vlans. The only change it can cause to traffic is through pruning and that in turn occurs if the vlan is not assigned to any port on the switches below.

To summarize, VTP wont cause any change to the L3 traffic pattern. That will be decided by the spanning tree that you have running in the L2 domain and which links it blocks for the vlan.

Regards,

Niranjan

Niranjan hi,

Thank you!.

Hi Larry!

Can you please rate the post if it helped?

Regards,

Niranjan

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

For traffic changes to take effect, you need to assign spanning-tree prioritities for vlans on each switch.

"spanning-tree vlan x,y,z priority 12288"

on the other switch specify other vlans to with different priority.

bvsnarayana03,

Would you happen to have a good URL that explains in greater detail assigning spanning-tree prioritites for each vlan and the bennifits/best practices.

Thanks,

hi,

Following is the URL of the configuration guide for 3750 switch -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/scg.html

Refer to the following chapters for the STP/MSTP concepts and configuration -

Configuring STP

Configuring MSTP

Configuring Optional Spanning-Tree Features

-> Sushil

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card