Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Syncronization to Microsoft DC

Hi, all,

I want to sync time for CUCM 6.0(1) by NTP from windows Domain Controller, which in turn runs NNTP service.

That's why I've configured DC's IP address (A.B.C.D) in CUCM OS

Administration interface, which says 'The NTP service is accessible' after that.

Then I've checked ntp status & config; it show the following:

{

admin:utils ntp config

This node is configured to synchronize with one of the following NTP server(s):

A.B.C.D

admin:utils ntp status

ntpd (pid 18410) is running...

remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter

==============================================================================

127.127.1.0 127.127.1.0 10 l 17 64 1 0.000 0.000 0.008

A.B.C.D .LOCL. 1 u 12 64 1 0.355 -96181. 0.008

unsynchronised

time server re-starting

polling server every 16 s

Current time in UTC is : Tue Jun 3 11:58:07 UTC 2008

Current time in Europe/Moscow is : Tue Jun 3 15:58:07 MSD 2008

admin:

}

As a result IP Phones get theirs time from previously configured static time in CUCM.

I've entered it before going to NTP. But eventually due to NTP status is unsynchronised

IP Phones continue to use statically configured time in CUCM.

How can this be resolved ? Any ideas ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

All depends on how important your time sync is.

My personal preference is always hardware over software.

Your most important point is to get an authorative time source.. Probably the 2 easiest options...

1. NTP server on the internet, either from your ISP, or sometimes from a local university. Google for free NTP servers in your location.

2. Buy a hardware clock / time source.. you can most likely point routers, switches, ccm, servers all directly to these servers. Same thing goolge for some product options.

Start here for Cisco NTP info..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/tk461/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Not sure what version of windows you are running.. but try this for W2k3 server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

Cheers,

Tim

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As far as I know...

Windows servers actually run SNTP.. it is not NTP

You would need a 3rd party NTP service to install on your windows server so that CUCM and other cisco routers / switches could sync with NTP.

Not sure if it was a typo, but you mention NNTP, this is actually a news server running under IIS. This is not an NTP server either.

You can buy dedicated NTP servers, with external clocks.

Or you can sync routers or switches to an internet NTP server, and then sync your CUCM off them.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

1. Yes, I've mistyped. Of course NTP, not NNTP.

2. What is the best practise for NTP servers:

- network infrastructure (router or switches)

or

- installed by means of separate software NTP server ?

Can you recommend me the configuration guide for the first one, and the software for the second ?

Hi,

All depends on how important your time sync is.

My personal preference is always hardware over software.

Your most important point is to get an authorative time source.. Probably the 2 easiest options...

1. NTP server on the internet, either from your ISP, or sometimes from a local university. Google for free NTP servers in your location.

2. Buy a hardware clock / time source.. you can most likely point routers, switches, ccm, servers all directly to these servers. Same thing goolge for some product options.

Start here for Cisco NTP info..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/tk461/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Not sure what version of windows you are running.. but try this for W2k3 server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

Cheers,

Tim

lpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've the same problem, on the web interface the ntp is accessible and in SSH it's unsynchronised. How did you fixe your problem with the DC ?

Louis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: