cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN over IP

yamenmjendel
Level 1
Level 1

Can you advise me on how I cann transport ISDN BRI over IP network from one voice gateway to another ?

regards,

Yam

4 Replies 4

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

BRI is TDM technology, you need a cisco Gateway which converts the TDM signal into IP signalling like H323, SIP or MGCP then you can send those signals to remote GW

Hi gogasca,

In fact the pupose of this is to connect 2 polycom video stations connected respectively to each gateway. each one uses 3 BRI ports for the gw. So I need to handel this traffic over IP. can H323,SIP or MGCP be suffisent ?

Regards,

Yam

Hi, you would use H.323 or SIP.

There are two way to do that. One, is that you set "codec clear-channel" under voip DP. This will attempt to transport the B-channels over IP, it *may* work but no guaranteed, it depends by the performance of the underlying layer.

Another approach would be to use the recent support in cisco GW to terminate "intelligently" the video codei the GW, so to transport the payload only. I can point you to the relevant doc if you decide to go that route.

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your response, I will try to test both approaches, so can you please point me on the second method?

Best regards,

Yamen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: