cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnel Interface Bandwidth

jmoss1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have a 3825 router running tunnels to various sites. See the config below: -

interface Tunnel4

bandwidth 1024

ip address 172.16.151.1 255.255.255.0

ip virtual-reassembly

tunnel source 10.128.6.30

tunnel destination 10.207.100.6

tunnel mode ipsec ipv4

tunnel protection ipsec profile VTI

my concern is that the bandwidth setting, they have a 10mb connection but it's been set to 1024 bandwidth.

My questions are: -

If i remove the bandwidth command what will it default to?

Is it best to fix the bandwidth at the same speed of the link

If I make the change will the tunnel go down as the bandwidth will be mismatched for a short period of time?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nopes bandwidth has no impact on the speed of the link...It is more logical from a QOS and routign protocol perspective

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

Specifically to each of your questions,

a) if you remove the bandwidth command it will default to 100 KBit.

b) No this is needed at all. You dont need to set bandwidth at all on the tunnel as it is used primarily in QOS buffer calculations and Routing protcols Metric calculations

c) Nopes there is no impact on the IPSEC/VTI tunnels with the Bandwidth command

Ok thanks, so let me get this 100% correct the bandwidth setting has no impact on the speed of the link?

so I could just leave this setting at 1024 and that will be sufficient for a 10mb link or should I increase to 10000

Sorry if i'm being stupid, I just want to be clear

nopes bandwidth has no impact on the speed of the link...It is more logical from a QOS and routign protocol perspective

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

If i remove the bandwidth command what will it default to?

It would default to 9K

Is it best to fix the bandwidth at the same speed of the link

Yes, unless you manipulate it to modify routing selection

If I make the change will the tunnel go down as the bandwidth will be mismatched for a short period of time?

No, the tunnel does not go down when you chnage the command. The Bandwidth command however might have influenced the routing algortithm which u might need to consider. QoS configuration also depends on the bandwidth you specify under the interface

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: