Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat - 6506-E - MSFC

subra4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I just tried doing a Write Erase on the MSFC and a reboot. Now the Catalyst is showing me a Router(boot)#. It can boot with the IOS and function but why does the (boot) appear. Any inputs greatly appreciated ?

Thanks in Advance,

Subra

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ovt
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, for CatOS use "reset 15", then "switch console" to get to the MSFC console.

This is "baby ios" or "boot helper" with restricted functionality. When you did "wr erase" you deleted BOOT variables from the ROM monitor, so the system didn't boot the proper ios image. Now reboot the MSFC, hit Ctrl-Break and use ROM monitor to boot proper ios file (use "dev", "dir <>" and "boot ") commands. Don't forget to configure "boot system flash " when proper ios file boots.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It did not boot all the way up . I have seen this also when doing a wr erase , it wipes out the boot statement I think . From that prompt do a dir bootflash: and see what image is there , then do a boot bootflash: , once booted up add the correct boot statement.

ovt
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, for CatOS use "reset 15", then "switch console" to get to the MSFC console.

This is "baby ios" or "boot helper" with restricted functionality. When you did "wr erase" you deleted BOOT variables from the ROM monitor, so the system didn't boot the proper ios image. Now reboot the MSFC, hit Ctrl-Break and use ROM monitor to boot proper ios file (use "dev", "dir <>" and "boot ") commands. Don't forget to configure "boot system flash " when proper ios file boots.

Hi,

THanks a lot for your timely support.

Regards

Subra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card