Internet Routing - Suggestions

Unanswered Question
Jun 3rd, 2008


Here is my existing layout:

CompanyNetwork -- MetroE -- (Fa)Router(Fa) -- switch -- InternalLan

Both Fastethernet intefaces in the router are taken, one is being used for the MetroE, the other one is for the internal vlan.

We are planning to install a separate internet T1 so we can take this person off the network (this is a private property). It will be a manage router from AT&T. This ISP router connects to a Fastethernet interface but both are taken. The switch is connected to the router using trunking and has two vlans, voice and data. No other configuration.

I have two scenarios:

1. Buy a High Speed Fa card (very expensive) for the router to connect the ISP router in there.

2. Connect the ISP router into the switch.

Which will you choose?

Thank you.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joseph W. Doherty Tue, 06/03/2008 - 15:42

If cost if the major criteria, and if you're already trunking vlans between the router and the switch, and assuming there's a spare port on the switch, connect the new ISP router to the switch and configure a new VLAN on that port that's also trunked, on the existing trunk, to the router. Of course, bringing traffic onto the switch via a VLAN, some consider a security issue. Also, as with the other Ethernet subinterfaces on the router, you might be unable to implement some IOS feature that you could with a dedicated port.

Sushil Kumar Katre Tue, 06/03/2008 - 20:51


I would go for HWIC-4ESW.

Or else if you have a spare serial interface you can go for serial to ethernet converters.

-> Sushil


This Discussion