cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible? Tricky Internet Question

ftikphillips
Level 1
Level 1

I have my main Data Center (site 1)connected to thet Internet via two ISP's sharing the same private AS numbers advertising my routes. One of my ISP's has been done for a week plus... giving me a SPOF. I do have an MPLS connection to another Data Center site (site 2)that has an Internet connection. I am looking to somewhat eliminate this SPOF until my ISP solves this issue.

My question is this... Is it possible to work with my ISP at my other Data Center to advertise my AS Number from Site 1 which I think we should be doing anyway. Once that is done creating a VRF over my MPLS connection to back haul the Internet traffic to the IP's that are physically located at Site 1 through the Internet via Site 2?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

1 Reply 1

steveo123
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, routing the internet traffic via MPLS VPN is possible, however you would need to talk with your other ISP to advertize site 1 prefixes. You say that ISP in site 1 is advertizing your private AS, private AS's do not get advertized to the internet, they are only advertizing specific prefixes you have asked them to advertize, so talking to your other ISP to advertize those specific prefixes could be possible however you will need to suppress those prefixes from being advertized from ISP other wise you will have routing issues on the internet in order to reach your DC.

regards

steve K

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card