Can anyone can tell me the difference between VTP version1 & VTP version2

3 Replies 3

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI RajKumar ,[Pls Rate if HELPS]

Refer Link below:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/21.html

Also, refer the FLASH Animation available explaining the cocepts of VTP V1 & VTP V2

Hope I am Informative

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

In the flash it was mentioned that both in VTPv1 & v2 can not communicate to different domains.I'm looking for more than this...

Regds//RAJ KUMAR

Hi,

VTP version 2 offers the following support options not available with version 1:

Unrecognized type-length-value (TLV) support-A VTP server or client propagates configuration changes to its other trunks, even for TLVs it is not able to parse. The unrecognized TLV is saved in NVRAM.

-------------------

Version-dependent transparent mode-In VTP version 1, a VTP transparent switch inspects VTP messages for the domain name and version and forwards a message only if the version and domain name match. Because only one domain is supported in the Supervisor engine software, VTP version 2 forwards VTP messages in transparent mode, without checking the version.

------------------------------

Consistency checks-In VTP version 2, VLAN consistency checks (such as VLAN names and values) are performed only when you enter new information through the command-line interface (CLI) or Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). Consistency checks are not performed when new information is obtained from a VTP message or when information is read from NVRAM. If the digest on a received VTP message is correct, its information is accepted without consistency checks.

I would conclude by saying that VTP version 1 and VTP Verision 2 can communicate if the domain names are the same. If they have diffrent domain names they will not communicate.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card