cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1231 as WGB, need to associate to non-Cisco AP's

rick.barber
Level 1
Level 1

This is an issue at a large containership facility.

I am currently using 1231 AP's configured as Work Group Bridges that are located in the large container cranes, and they talk back to one of two 1231 Base Stations (AP's)which are connected to the wired network. In addition to the two Cisco Base stations there are other Access Points, mostly non-Cisco that provide wireless coverage over several hundred acres for other purposes not related to the cranes.

Since the cranes move up and down the dock it is difficult to provide reliable coverage at all of the possible positions that the cranes could be located, i.e. we have "dead spots".

If there was any way that I could get the 1230 WGB's to talk to non-cisco AP's, my problem would be solved ... I would just shut down and retire the two Cisco AP's, and let the cranes talk to any of the AP's that they would associate to. With the coverage we have, it would be virtually impossible for the cranes to not be in a spot that would provide adequate association.

Since the 1230's configured as a WGB will only associate to a Cisco AP, my options are limited.

Typically there are two antennas that go to an outdoor NEMA box where the WGB is located. The cat five is converted to fiber, and then makes a 100 foot or so run into the machine house of the crane, where it connects to either a switch or a PC.

This rules out using a PC card or PCI card as a client.

What I need is a device identical to the Cisco 1230 WGB that speaks non-Cisco.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

I think 1230 and 1240 Series work with others without any issues but the APs will require an updated IOS software release which should be after the WLC 4.1 software

gatewaves
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have similar problem where we are installing number of 1230 units and need other non-cisco clients to 1230s as repeater/Client. Dlink 2100 connect as a AP client but not as a repeater. Trendnet 453 cannot connect at all as the AP client and Repeater functionalities are joined together.

So as above any one actually had any luck connecting Non-Cisco units to 1200 APs as a bridge or a repeater?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: