cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS: Change Native Vlan for Vtp/trunking

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

By default it is 1, but the company changed it to 20 for some reason.

I know how to set the native vtp trunk in Native mode, but how do you do it in CatOS. Searching hasn't turned up anything useful.

7 Replies 7

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use "set vlan X slot/port " . X is the vlan you want as native.

no, I want to change the native vlan that delivers VTP trunking info from Vlan20 to Vlan1.

in native mode:

switchport trunk native vlan 20

would set the vtp info from Vlan1 to Vlan20.

I don't think it is possible to change the native VTP vlan1 in CatOS v8.3x.

However, if a Cat switch running Native code sets its native vlan to 20, then the CatOS will comply on its end. If anyone knows differently please let me know

Doug

Glen is correct in what he said. To set the native vlan on a trunk link on CatOS you set the port into the vlan you want so to set the native VTP to vlan 20 on CatOS

set vlan 20 3/1

which sets the native vlan on port 3/1 to vlan 20. Remember that 3/1 is a trunk port not an access port ie.

set vlan 20 3/1 on an access port would put 3/1 into vlan 20. But on a trunk the port is not allocated to any one particular vlan. By using

set vlan 20 3/1 on a trunk port you are setting the native vlan.

Jon

ah, I see. was looking at the command from an access port view, not a trunk view.

I now understand. Thanks guys!

VTP is always sent with a Tag of 1 on a trunk regardless of what the native VLAN is and even if VLAN 1 is not in the list of allowed VLANs. Have a read of the 'Catalyst Control Plane Protocols' section of this document:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/103.html

HTH

Andy

VTP is always using vlan 1 for its communication, regardless of the native vlan. So changing the native in that case is of no use.

Regards,

Francois

Let me rephrase in fact;-) It has no use for VTP communication!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: