Views
Helpful
Replies

Clean Access - Nessus Plugin Manual Update

CoetzerJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The latest 2.2 plugin file from nessus.org is bigger than the seemed allowed upload size through the Clean Access Manager Web Interface.

When I manually upload the plugins through the CAM, I get the following error from the CAM.

Result: Error: Failed to upload file Content Length Error (15954372 > 10485760)

You dont seem to be able to delete some of the plugins out the nessus pluggins.tar.gz file for some reason(I think it is write protected), so I cannot delete some files out the archive and upload a smaller one.

How am I going to be able to upload the Nessus Plugins onto the CAM? Is there another way that anyone knows of? Surely one should be able to do this through the command prompt aswell.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I finally got them installed as well, but in a slightly different manner. I used the nessus-update-plugins tool to download and install the plugins into the directory. They still didn't appear in the GUI untill I took an individual plugin and imported it using the GUI. Then all the plugins appeared in the GUI and are usable.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

etms
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I ran into the same issue. I found where the Nessus plugins are installed on the CAM (/usr/lib/nessus/plugins/) and I unziped the plugins into that directory and restart the nessusd process manually (service nessusd restart). When the service is restarting it appears to importing the new plugins, but when I go into the web GUI they are not listed as running. If you have gotten further on this than me please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi,

Manually extracting the plugins in the directory did not work for the GUI for me either. What I ended up doing was, extracting the full plugins .tar.gz file onto a unix box. I then devided the files into four seperate bunches. These I then tar.gz'd and renamed to plugins .tar.gz one at a time. I then uploaded these individual files, one at a time through the CAM GUI.

All the plugins are on the box! and can be enabled through the CAM GUI!

I finally got them installed as well, but in a slightly different manner. I used the nessus-update-plugins tool to download and install the plugins into the directory. They still didn't appear in the GUI untill I took an individual plugin and imported it using the GUI. Then all the plugins appeared in the GUI and are usable.

etms,

I'm a little confused on your message. You used the Nessus plugins tool to download all the plugins. How did you get them on the Clean Access device? Individually? If you get a chance, please clarify.

It is a command on the CLI of the Clean Access Manager. You will find it somewhere on the CCA-Manager box when you SSH to it.

nessus-update-plugins

Ok, that makes sense, thank you for the clarification.

How did you get the command to work. I get the following error:

[root@cisconac-cm1 sbin]# nessus-update-plugins

An unknown HTTP error occured (http error code: 404)

Could not retrieve the plugins MD5

Aborting

Otherwise, I will have to break up uploads into 10mb each which is kinda tedious per bug id:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsq59801

Have a look at the nessus webpage. There should be a MAN page with some examples.

The splitting of the file into seperate files is not too bad. I did it that way the first time round when I had to get the plugins installed. Adding updates will result in a repeat of this task though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: