cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router back to back connections

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, we have 2 routers using glbp, and bgp for the wan connection, my question is, they have 1 connection each to the lan, and one connection plugs directly into each other, what is this used for ?

4 Replies 4

Rajat Chauhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That actually depends on the design, and boils down to the configuration.

Majorly, its used as a backup for FHRPs ( HSRP, VRRP, GLBP etc) in case we lose any of the uplinks.

Secondly, it prevents traffic blackhole in certain scenarios due to node/link failure.

AGain, it depends how its configured. The scenarios descried above works only if its in L2-mode.

Alternatively, it can be used as L3 link for route maintenance and proper route summarization towards core.

Most modern networks utilize a hybrid form of it, combining L2/L3 modes and getting best of both worlds.

HTH

Raj

Im still unsure what you mean here, can you explain, I thought that if using a redundancy protocol both connections have to use the lan port, would the middle cable be more for routing ?

Right, for FHRP hellos, it uses lan link by default, but for predictable designs, lets say only a link loss is there , but the active HSRP router is still active and I dont want HSRP to failover and make 2nd one active (there can be numerous scenarios), I'll use dist-link to pass hellos.

Please refer to some design docs or CCDP curriculum for further details.

From a L3 point of view, its critical for route summarization and avoiding of traffic blackhole due to link failure.

HTH

Raj

Hi there, so, how do you make the hsrp hello's go through the dist link? i thought they would only talk on the lan link? also what would the routing protocol do with this link?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card