cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast across DWDM

rsamuel708
Level 1
Level 1

I work for an organization that manages several large non-profit hospitals. Connectivity between them is done in-house by use of DWDM and 10g modules in our 6500s core routers. We also provide L2 connectivity to a remote datacenter via 15454 boxes.

I'm investigating turning on multicast across DWDM in order to use a wireless phone system (Vocera) as an Enterprise solution. We currently use Vocera at a couple of individual hospitals, but are investigating it's use organization-wide.

In order to do this, we would need to turn on multicast in order to process the wireless traffic and utilize the broadcasts.

My question is, does anyone have any knowledge of any gotchas to turning on multicast over dwdm, or have any white papers, case studies, etc that would help with our decisions?

Thanks in advance.

/rls

2 Replies 2

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Unless you have something fairly exotic like lambda based routing, DWDM is just transport.

I can't think of anything that would stop you.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The DWDM wavelengths do not care what multicast traffic it is carrying. It is just a dumb pipe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: