2 Circuits from same ISP

Unanswered Question
Jun 5th, 2008

I have 2 circuits from same ISP connected to 2 routers. I am running HSRP on the inside and router A is the primary. I have 2 default routes on router A 1 with next hop to ISP and 1 with next hop to router B. I have 2 default routes on router B with 1 to next hop ISP and 1 to next hop router A with a distance metric set for a greater distance. All works fine I get load balanced traffic to ISP over both routers. Problem is when circuit to ISP goes down on router B router A still sends traffic to router B and traffic is being dropped. Is the routing setuo correctly?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mjhagen Thu, 06/05/2008 - 09:46

The issue I had was not on the HSRP side it was on the ISP side when the ISP circuit goes down.

shiva_ial Thu, 06/05/2008 - 09:55

mike,

i couldn't get your question properly

what does that mean isp side down

is there single link between you and isp ?

rgds/shiva

Edison Ortiz Thu, 06/05/2008 - 09:48

Mike,

That's the problem when configuring static routing as it doesn't adjust its path dynamically after a failure.

You may need to introduce Object tracking along with your static routing configuration.

With Object tracking you can intelligently detect a link failure.

Please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

mjhagen Thu, 06/05/2008 - 10:03

Both circuits from each router are fast ethernet circuits. Will this work? If I track the circuit to ISP will it down the route?

Edison Ortiz Thu, 06/05/2008 - 10:12

You can configure a SLA to ping an external device in the internet while sourcing from the interface connected between Router A & B. If that fails, the track will automatically determine the circuit is down and choose the second IP route from the list.

HTH,

__

Edison.

KEVIN RESPASS Thu, 06/05/2008 - 13:20

have you tried configuring the static utilizing the router egress interface in the syntax? fro example:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa 0/0

Actions

This Discussion