cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lightweight Mode Upgrade Tool

emkf
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed the latest version of the tool, 3.4, and installed it on an XP SP2 box. Everything looks good, but when I start it returns "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Upgrade Tool\images\c1310-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3 - LWAPP Recovery Image is not a valid one".

I have verified that the file exists and is named correctly. I have also downloaded a new copy of the application and image and installed on a different computer and got the same results. Any ideas?

12 Replies 12

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi EMKF,

I don't think the problem is with the tool it is with this image "c1310-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3" I don't know why they have linked this in the Software Downloads to the LWAPP Upgrade image but I'm pretty sure it is wrong.

As far as I know all recovery images are JX (not JA etc.)

I would try this image instead;

12.3(11)JX1.

Note This release must only be loaded onto access points at the factory or by using the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool. Your access point might become inoperable if you install this software without using the upgrade tool.

Release Notes for Cisco Aironet 1100, 1130, 1200, 1230, 1240, and 1300 Series Access Points for Cisco IOS Release 12.3(11)JX1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/b311jx1.html

c1310-rcvk9w8-tar.123-11JX1.tar

Here is the link;

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=12.3(11)JX1&mdfid=279141937&sftType=Autonomous%20To%20Lightweight%20Mode%20Upgrade%20Image&optPlat=&nodecount=3&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco%20Aironet%201310%20Access%20Point/Bridge&treeMdfId=278875243&treeName=Wireless&modifmdfid=null&imname=null&hybrid=Y&imst=N&lr=Y

Check out these notes (no mention of LWAPP Upgrade image)

Release Notes for Cisco Aironet Access Points and Bridges for Cisco IOS Release 12.4(10b)JA3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/12_4_10b_JA3rn.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

I downloaded the previous version that was listed under the one that I was trying. It worked just fine and I now have the unit running in LW mode.

Thankd for the response, I appreciate the help.

--Rob

Hi Rob,

You are most welcome my friend :) Glad to be of some small help.

Take care,

Rob

fabian.huebner
Level 1
Level 1

I have the the same problem - but with a 1250 AccessPoint!

I tried the Autonomous To Lightweight Mode Upgrade Tool 3.0, 3.2 & 3.4.

I used following "Autonomous To Lightweight Mode Upgrade"-Images:

c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-13d.JA.tar

c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar

c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA.tar

(with and without the .tar extensions)

Everytime I got "LWAPP Recovery Image is not a valid one".

I also have verified that the file exists and is named correctly.

Kind regards

Fabian

With 1252's you have to use the archive command and tftp the rcv image to the ap.

You need to have the lwapp image on your tftp server and use the archive /r /f tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name.tar flash: command.

The image has to be renamed to c1250-k9w7-tar.default. You can use c1250-k9w7-tar.124-10b.JA.tar image file and just rename it. Once the ap joins the wlc, the ap will get whatever code from the wlc

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanx for your advice. It works now! :-)

I used archive download-sw /forced-reload tftp://[ip]/c1250-k9w8-tar.default

It's a little bit confusing, that I can't use the Upgrade Tool for these new AP 1250 also. But anyway...

Now I got some unrecognized commands within bootup process:

ip ssh version 2

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

transport input ssh

^

aaa new-model

^

aaa authentication login default local

^

login authentication default

^

transport input ssh

^

logging origin-id string AP:0021.d88a.4040

^

logging 255.255.255.255

^

logging trap 3

^

Any chance to delete the command from the startup-config? Because within the recovery lwapp image I got reduced functionality and commands.

Kind regards

Fabian

When you convert to lwapp, a WLC is required to configure the access point. You can't issues a config t and set ip address etc. You need to do all that from the wlc.

-Scott

Yes I know. But hopefully I can swipe these "incorrect commands" from the ap when I'll connect the ap to the wlc.

Thanx

Are you trying to enter thoses commands, or is this what you see when you are consoled into the ap and you boot it up?

-Scott

I see this when I'm consoled into the ap and ap is booting up?

I think these are "old orphaned" commands from the "autonomous ap" configuration.

I see this when I'm consoled into the ap and ap is booting up.

I think these are "old orphaned" commands from the "autonomous ap" configuration.

You can always do a dir on the prompt and look to see what is there. You can delete the config file and any other EXTRA stuff. I will check later, what should be ther or not. If you have another ap, you can check that also.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: