Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1200's VLANS over Radios

oxfordcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a problem.

I have an AP which has 4 VLAN's on it which works fine. What I wnat to do is put in another AP with no ethernet attached into another building to act essentially as a repeater. The problem I have is that I do not want to use the native VLAN as we use that for just monitoring and management. Any ideas would be greatfully recieved.

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on how many user you will have on the remote building, throughput is really bad when you setup an ap as a repeater. You are almost better off having a WGB on the remote end connected up to a switch and PC's connected to that switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_example09186a00805b9b87.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

marwood0
Level 1
Level 1

Repeaters do not support VLAN's, I tried and tried and tried. You may be able to get the native VLAN traffic to cross, but it won't be stable and may misteriously stop working for long time periods and TAC won't help you with it. Your best bet is to bridge to that area with a 1200 series radio equipped with both A and G radios (bridge with the A radio) or with a completely separate set of radios (1200, 1300, etc) hardwired to the far end AP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card