cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP: if just 'extending' do we need it?

ja1064
Level 1
Level 1

i understand that when you build redundancy the need for STP but if we just connect a switch/hub on a switch port (e.g. to provide mulitple drops in room for training) the loop issue doesn't exist, correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

You are correct in what you say, if you hang a switch/hub off a switch port then you are not creating a loop.

However i would always recommend running STP because you never know who will connect what to what. All it takes is for one connection to be incorrectly patched in, either by accident or maliciously, and you are in danger of bringing your network down.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

You are correct in what you say, if you hang a switch/hub off a switch port then you are not creating a loop.

However i would always recommend running STP because you never know who will connect what to what. All it takes is for one connection to be incorrectly patched in, either by accident or maliciously, and you are in danger of bringing your network down.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card