cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Right Size a router for a 10 meg internet pipe via ethernet handoff

joneschw1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I am about to get a 10 meg internet pipe from our fiber carrier. The carrier is giving it to us through an ethernet hand off. I'm thinking a 2811 will handle the 10 meg pipe. We may up the pipe to 20 or 30 meg, and I am just trying to make sure the 2811 will handle it. We're not doing any type of complex routing, bgp, route caching, etc. Its just that we are a bandwidth intensive organization. Let me know if you all think the 2811 will be sufficient.

5 Replies 5

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

The 2811 is very capable of handling a 10-30MB connection to your ISP.

(with plenty of capability to spare)

The NM slot alone on the 2811 can handle upto 1.6Gb throughput.

The HWICs offer throughput upto 800Mbps full duplex.

Please see the following link for more info on the 2811 capabilities:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

hi pulos,

what hwic troughput stands here ?

rgds/shiva

You don't necessarily need an hwic. Starting on the 2821 there is a sfp slot to terminate fiber.

Or use switch to terminate fiber, and a smaller router, for what you want to do even a 1841 or 2801 would work.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A 2811 can handle 10 Mbps (duplex). With regard to possible increases of 20 or 30 Mbps (duplex?), 20 will make for a busy 2811, not so sure you'll be able to get up to a full 30.

Attached is a router performance sheet commonly used within these forums. When you looks at the PPS rates, don't forget duplex needs double.

PS:

For Ethernet routing, and if you feature requirements are simple, you might also want to look at the 3560-8PC.

Hi,

I've just commissioned 2 x 2801 connected with a 100Mb metro ethernet link.

Iperf between two Windows hosts on either side of the link gives a throughput of 83Mbps. When I ran Iperf with 5 threads the throughput dropped to 65Mbps.

Allowing for the Windows TCP/IP overheads (It was Windows XP each side) I think that is fairly good.

The CPU load on the 2801's was 24% for a 5 minute average.

When I ran a similar test between Windows hosts on the same IP subnet with Iperf, I got 90.5Mbps and 70Mbps.

...note I'm not a Cisco expert, but I thought some real world figures might help...

I know I'm wasting some b/w here, but there were hardware budget constraints.

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: