cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless connectivity problems with workgroup bridges with printers

rob.gaal
Level 1
Level 1

We currently are using a Cisco unified wireless infrastructure. The infrastructure currently consists of 2 Cisco 4404 wireless LAN controllers with 36 Lightweight Access Points. The Cisco 4404 wireless LAN controllers have firmware version 4.2.99.0 installed.

During the day about 125 systems are connected to the wireless network. The clients are mainly using WPA2 (PEAP for authentication and AES for encryption). Some terminals temporarily use LEAP with WEP encryption. We also connect different type of printers with the Cisco unified wireless network using Symbol CB300 bridges or Cisco 1130 AP's in workgroup bridge mode.

We experience the following problems:

• Different type of printers lose connectivity with the Cisco unified wireless network after a certain period time of inactivity when connected through Symbol CB3000 bridges (PEAP and AES) or Cisco 1130 AP's in workgroup bridge mode (both LEAP and AES or static WEP)

• Symbol bridges can not be remotely managed across the wireless connection

3 Replies 3

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

If it is happening when the printers are connected to both the Symbol and Cisco AP, the problem is probably with the printer. I would set up Wake on LAN. The printers are going to sleep right?

It occurs on both bridges. But that could not be the final solution to provide connectivity for printers in the cisco unified wireless infrastructure; to periodically send wake on lan packets. The same bridges with the same printers work fine in a non unified wireless infrastructure.

I was just wondering if the printers are going to sleep. If they are, there are settings on the printer you can change for wake on lan that will allow the printer to come out of sleep mode. The new printers we have been installing, had the same issue with wake on lan right out of the box. I agree that it may not be something that easy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: