Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem wit configuring Access Server

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm configuring an access server but faced with the following problem.

R1(config)#ip host r1 2001 201.201.1.1

R1(config)#ip host r2 2002 201.201.1.1

R1(config)#ip host r3 2003 201.201.1.1

R1(config)#ip host r4 2004 201.201.1.1

R1(config)#ip host r5 2005 201.201.1.1

R1(config)#int lo 0

R1(config-if)#ip add 201.201.1.1 255.255.255.0

R1(config-if)#exi

R1(config)#line 1 5

No physical hardware support for line 1

R1(config)#

Looking carefully at the second to the last line in the config, you will see that the error message "No physical hardware support for line 1" prevents me from further configurations.

Can i be kindly/urgently assisted on how to go about this?.

Thanking you all in advance

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not obvious to me what you were trying to configure. My best guess is that you were trying to configure the vty ports. In which case the command is line vty 0 4 and not line 1 5.

If you were not trying to configure the vty then please help us understand what you were trying to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'm most grateful for your input. what i am trying to do is configure a reserve telnet to be able to go from my access server to any other router/switch in my home lap.

Despite, the line vty 0 16 or 1 4, i still could not make a reserve telnet back to any other device. The error message is as follows "Router1#r9

Translating "r9"

Trying r9 (201.201.1.1, 2009)...

% Destination unreachable; gateway or host down" even the systems are up and running.

Hope you can still help me further?

regards

According to what you have configured r9 is on the 9th async interface. Is there physically a 9th async interface? If so what is it connected to and what kind of cable connects them? It would also help to know what kind of router your access server is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

The access server is 2511 with octal cable going to the console ports of all other routers.

To make things simple, would you like to just lead me through the necessary process of getting things done, if at all i have not been following the right method?.

Regards

This link has some discussion and a very good example which should show you the way. Perhaps the most important thing (more important that it appears) is to configure no exec on the async lines.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

[edit] looking back at your original post it apears that one issue is confusion about which lines are the async lines. Perhaps the output of show lines might help to clarify this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

Thanks once again your great help, though i am yet to get it done, only presented with another problem when configuring the line i.e it says "No physical hardware support for line 1" when i tried to configure the "line 1 16" with transport input all command.

I hope you can please help me further to round with this issue?.

Best Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card