cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP bindings

fahad.sheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Machines won't renew (without a release) IPs against a Cisco DHCP servers that dont yet have bindings?

Any documentation explaining this would be appretiated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fahad

Perhaps I am not understanding the question correctly. If the Cisco is the DHCP server for the segment, and if the Cisco has no bindings, then how do clients have address leases which they try to renew? Perhaps you can help me to better understand the issue?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fahad

Perhaps I am not understanding the question correctly. If the Cisco is the DHCP server for the segment, and if the Cisco has no bindings, then how do clients have address leases which they try to renew? Perhaps you can help me to better understand the issue?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Assume I already go an IP Address from the DHCP Server. Now I will clear the DHCP bindings in the server. Then I tried to renew the ip address using ipconfig/renew, it not getting renewed, but it retains the ip address which it has. I did a packet capture @ the PC what I see is only a DHCP Request no ACK from the server.

I agree with what u said if there is no bindings lease can't be renew. I was looking for any documentation that clarifies it.

Thanks

Fahad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card