cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-Site CME: how to do h323 voip through firewall

aciscolook
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to set up a multi-site CME lab with an IOS firewall on each CME. How will I be able to let the h323 voip call through the firewalls at each end?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Antony,

Just a note to add to the great tips from my friend Paolo (+5 points for you Paolo).

You are correct on the CUE references. Here is the old info;

Cisco Unity Express must be installed on each Cisco CME host router. Cisco Unity Express cannot provide voice-mail services across Cisco CME routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/integration/unity_exp/configuration/guide/cue_cme1.html

Here is the new info (I don't think CUE 3.2 is out quite yet - but soon I hope);

Q. What are the new features introduced with Cisco Unity Express 3.2?

A. Cisco Unity Express 3.2 introduces the following enhancements:

• Integration with multiple Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express sites: Cisco Unity Express (on NME-CUE only) can integrate with up to 10 Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express remote sites. This solution allows centralized voicemail and Automated-Attendant features for up to 10 sites when voicemail at each remote site branch is not essential and there is a small number of users at each site.

Q. Which releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express will be supported with Cisco Unity Express Release 3.2?

A. Cisco Unity Express **will be supported with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express Releases 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.

Cisco Unity Express Release Notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/prod_release_notes_list.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The easier way is to use gre tunnels and configure the FW to let them go through. This way you will have a transparent network and everything will work.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it, but is that typically how multi-site CME's are implemented these days? In the SRND for CME they just talk about tying multiple CMEs together with no talk about security. It's not very practical.

BTW..Is it correct that in the past CUE could only work with one set of CME users, but that now CUE can provide service to users across multiple CMEs? If so can you point me to the documentation that addresses this design?

Thanks for all the great helps.

Hi,

yes you would use GRE tunnels to multisite CME networking over the internet.

CUE 3.2 has support for remote users but also previous versions have some capability for that. All the documentation is under CUE section on CCO.

Note, you may want to check the rating system again, "2" to all effects is a low rating and is inappropriate for factual and correct answers.

Sorry Paolo,

I am not aware of how the rating system works..I'll try to make up for it in the future. Anyway I re-rated your follow-up post.

thanks again

Thank you for the appreciation and good luck!

Hi Antony,

Just a note to add to the great tips from my friend Paolo (+5 points for you Paolo).

You are correct on the CUE references. Here is the old info;

Cisco Unity Express must be installed on each Cisco CME host router. Cisco Unity Express cannot provide voice-mail services across Cisco CME routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/integration/unity_exp/configuration/guide/cue_cme1.html

Here is the new info (I don't think CUE 3.2 is out quite yet - but soon I hope);

Q. What are the new features introduced with Cisco Unity Express 3.2?

A. Cisco Unity Express 3.2 introduces the following enhancements:

• Integration with multiple Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express sites: Cisco Unity Express (on NME-CUE only) can integrate with up to 10 Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express remote sites. This solution allows centralized voicemail and Automated-Attendant features for up to 10 sites when voicemail at each remote site branch is not essential and there is a small number of users at each site.

Q. Which releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express will be supported with Cisco Unity Express Release 3.2?

A. Cisco Unity Express **will be supported with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express Releases 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.

Cisco Unity Express Release Notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/prod_release_notes_list.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and authoritativeness of your responses.

Thanks,

Hi Antony,

You are most welcome my friend :) Glad to be of some small help.

Take care and good luck with your lab setup,

Rob