IP Access List Help - CCNA Exam

Unanswered Question
Jun 7th, 2008

Can anyone explain to me the difference in using the syntax "ip access-list" vs. just using "access-list"?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.3 (6 ratings)
Richard Burts Sat, 06/07/2008 - 13:19

The basic difference is that ip access-list is used to configure a named access list and access-list is used to configure a numbered access list. Functionally named access lists and numbered access lists work pretty much the same (they can be standard access lists or can be extended access lists).

scottmac Sat, 06/07/2008 - 17:48

Rick, you gotta be the unluckiest guy on the board; all your OPs think "1" is the highest mark.

I kicked in a few, fair is fair (good answer!)

Richard Burts Sat, 06/07/2008 - 18:14

Thank you. Many ratings I understand and appreciate (including yours). And a few surprise me. As I wrote the answer I thought about including more information. But then I thought that the question is what is the difference... and my answer gives what the difference is.

I appreciate your opinion and your help.

Sushil Kumar Katre Mon, 06/09/2008 - 00:42

Hi Rick,

I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Unfortunately your posts rated one, even though the answer being to the point and as simple as it can be.

I have seen at least 3 such posts including this. wonder how many more you might have :)

5 points for this and the other one rated posts.

GUYS please check the description against the numbers before posting. Please. It hurts to see good posts rated one.

-> Sushil

michael.leblanc Wed, 06/11/2008 - 20:44

When configuring a numbered ACL, the "number" conveys the "protocol", and therefore "access-list" is sufficient.

Different numeric ranges are used for different protocols.

When configuring a named ACL, you need to literally convey the protocol, and therefore "ip access-list" would be needed to convey that it was an "IP" access list.

This Discussion