Top Secret

Answered Question
Jun 7th, 2008

Will a top secret clearance with the addition of job experience and a certification help getting a job? The only thing I'm missing is a degree which I'm too impatient to get.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by rob.huffman about 8 years 5 months ago

Hi Dustin,

I thought that you would find this interesting :)

Brad Reese's Blog from Network World;

Security clearance + Cisco certified = GOLD!

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/28474

Hope this helps!

Rob

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
dbeare Sat, 06/07/2008 - 18:37

Depends on what type of job you want. Do you want a job that requires top secret clearance? If so, then it will help you. If you want a job in most of the private sector, having clearance probably isn't going to mean anything unless you're subcontracting to the government.

celticfc2007 Sun, 06/08/2008 - 00:00

A TS clearnce + zero IT experience + any IT cert = high paying contract IT job.

dbeare Sun, 06/08/2008 - 15:20

Again, it depends on what type of industry you want to work in. I work for an ISP in the midwest. Having top secret clearance would have zero impact on my job or salary. I'm not saying it's worthless, because it most certainly isn't. But if you want to work for a company or the government that has a need for clearance, then yes it is worth it. It's the same as if I had a CCIE and wanted to be a dentist. It wouldn't have any impact on my job, and therefore isn't going to help me professionally in that industry.

ICMPInterface Mon, 06/09/2008 - 18:06

I appreciate everones input. I was just curious of the value of clearance in this field.

gpulos Wed, 06/11/2008 - 03:00

In Wash DC, some clearances are worth their weight themselves.

Rule of thumb, a TS is worth an additional 25K+.

A TS/SCI virtually guarantees you a job in a related field such as intelligence, security or other areas where sensitive/classified information is handled.

(departments, agencies, etc. all have a requirement of some kind or another)

Secret clearance or below garners less money and opportunities but is helpful as well.

Don't forget, it will cost you ~25K or more plus about 1 year and an anal probe to complete a TS or TS/SCI.

celticfc2007 Wed, 06/11/2008 - 03:49

A few more thoughts I'd add:

Getting a Secret clearance is tough, getting a TS is near impossible unless your ex-military. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but you have to be top dog in your field and the contractor/department have to be absolutely desperate for your skill set and experience.

Is it worth trying to get a clearance?

Some people enlist in the military just to get a clearnce, along the way, they get the GI Bill, job experience, InfoSec/Cisco/Microsoft boot-camps, certifications and training at no cost. Then they get out after 4 years and get a Government or Contracting job to make mega bucks.

CCIEs and CISSPs with the requisites easily make 300k a year in the desert, hmmm a house paid off in one year, not bad! But they earn their pay, working 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts, have fun =)

Its reasonable to say that if your not current or former military or government, you will not get a TS clearance.

Collin Clark Wed, 06/11/2008 - 06:30

FYI-

Clearances expire as well. I had TS in the military, but it has lapsed and now I'm back to Secret (current position requires it) with the rest of the schmucks :-)

ICMPInterface Fri, 06/13/2008 - 19:19

Im not worried about getting a TS clearance, im more worried about keeping it. ha.. I wonder if it is expensive to renew.. I shouldnt have to worry about it if I just stay in the military.. I am very excited about getting some Cisco certs though. Its addicting learning and using the equipment.

Actions

This Discussion