Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Design Issue

sarfarazkazi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are redesigning our network from scratch. We are hosting our devices at a datacentre which is around 500-700 mtrs away from the HO. There will be a fiber running from the DCR to the HO. Total Users on the network will be around 70-100 and they will be in a windows domain environment. I am planning the following at the DCR:

1. Install a cisco ASA for firewall and VPN services.

2. I will install a Cisco L3 switch. I will be creating 01 vlan for the Servers, 01 vlan for the Data Circuits and 01 vlan for clients at the HO.

Issue: I am not sure what switch should I install at the HO? Currently there is a unmanageable 3com switch at the HO. Also should I have separate subnets for the HO users and the restaurants users or should I put them all on one class B network.

I have attached the network diagram.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards

Sarf

3 Replies 3

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

I guess it depends on the amount of users that will be physically plugged into the switch. You could get a 4500 series (4503,4506,4507,4510) or a stack of 3750's. Both will provide layer 3 routing and the ability to grow.

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with Michael, Put a stack of 3750Gs to satisfy the # of users or a 4500 with modules. Put your SVI on the 3750G/4500 in the HO and make that your default gateway for the Users in the HO otherwise that fiber link will hear a lot of unnecessary broadcast traffic.

Create another vlan for layer 3 connectivity between the HO & DCR and use either a static route or routing protocol.

Layer 2 & 3 switching performance is equal using these switches so adding an extra layer 3 hop versus Layer 2 hop really doesn't matter.

This is what I would do. Easier to scale.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

hi

i m agree with Sarf

3750 is good choice for 100-150 user

it comes in three type port dencity

1 3750 with 12 SFP port

2 3750G-24 with 24 10/100/1000 Ethernet &4 SFP

3 3750-48 with 48 Ethernet and 4 SFP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card