Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing in Ether-channel

drnteam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using ether-channel but i cannot see the load on the port. Does it means the ether-channel is not configured properly.

4 Replies 4

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

The load balancing on Ether-channel is not per packet basis. It is by default per flow basis. The source and destination IP address is hashed to derive the physical link on which to send that flow. So if you really want to see the load balancing, send traffic with different source or destination addresses.

Regards,

Niranjan

Thanks Niranjan,

I got slipped on the load balancing again. When we do "show ether-channel port channel " the load is showing zero. How can we see the load on the ether-channel.

Hi! I am not very sure on how to verify the load on the etherchannel.

Switch(config)#port-channel load-balance ?

dst-ip Dst IP Addr

dst-mac Dst Mac Addr

src-dst-ip Src XOR Dst IP Addr

src-dst-mac Src XOR Dst Mac Addr

src-ip Src IP Addr

src-mac Src Mac Addr

You can use the above command to change the load balancig algorithm and then check based on physical interface counters to verify through which traffic is flowing.

Regards,

Niranjan

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can still look at the indivdual ports with the "show interface" command and it is still going to show you the load on each link .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: