cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1240 as non-rootbridge associated to 1240 as non-rootbridge

e.bayon
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a 1240-AG (AP1)configured as a root bridge+clients, and other 1240 AG (AP2)configured as non-rootbridge+clients associated to it.

Now, I need to extend the footprint in other bulding closed to the (AP2).

The question is, Can I assiciated other 1240-ag configured as non-rootbridge+clients to the non-rootbridge (AP2)?

I mean, assocciated a non-rootbridge to non-rootbridge supporting the same chatacteristics, passing across all of them more than one VLAN fromm AP1 to the new one.

6 Replies 6

bbxie
Level 3
Level 3

no, you have to associate non-root bridge to root bridge

Hi ENRIQUE,

As mentioned in the earlier post non-root bridge can not associate with another non-root bridge.

So what's the solution???

Have your rool bridge in the middle and non-root at the two ends.

non-root ------ root----- non-root

If you have an omnidirectional antenna with a range enough to cover both the non-root bridges place it on the Root bridge. Directional antennas on Non-Root and get going.

-> Sushil

It could be a good aidea, but I can not do that because, the current scenery is that:

(buliding1)---(building2)

switch--root(AP1)------->non-root(AP2

|wired distance much more than 100 mts|

Due that I can not change for you suggest:

non-root(AP2)--->root(AP1)<--non-root(AP3new)

Many thnaks.

It could be a good aidea, but I can not do that because, the current scenery is that:

(buliding1)---(building2)

switch--root(AP1)------->non-root(AP2

|wired distance much more than 100 mts|

Due that I can not change for you suggest:

non-root(AP2)--->root(AP1)<--non-root(AP3new)

Many thnaks.

Hello again.

I've been been thinking, in your solution once.

In the Current scenery the rootBR (AP1) has the switch connected, an non-rootBR (AP2)has not wired, I mean rootBR has the services (Internet router, appls. servers,) etc.

If I interchange the role between then.

Could the services coonected to the non-rootBR (AP2) (switch, etc), and nothing wired to the rootBR (AP1, only WiFi clients, and neither to the new rnon-rootBR (AP3, only WiFi clients.

Thanks a lot.

lonnylegrand99
Level 1
Level 1

The answer to your question is YES. You can extend you your network by connecting to AP2 (the non-root bridge). Yes, its true what others have said about the NRB needing to be connected to the RB, but that just applies to the first NRB in the chain. As long as you can make line of sight connection from AP2 to AP3 (assuming thats what you want to refer it as) you can extend that network. However, if the Root Bridge goes down, loses power, etc, the rest of the chain goes with it.

You should be able to see AP3 as a repeater in the AP2 association list, and like wise in the AP3 list be able to see AP2. If you login to the AP1 RB, you should be able to see AP3 once it becomes active. Just make sure to enable Network Map.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card