Hi All,

Can anyone help me to understand the below access-list

access-list zzz permit ip host yy.xx.224.0 host 255.255.252.0

Thanks

Regards

Anantha Subramanian Natarajan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anantha also posted this question in the LAN Switching and Routing forum where there was an interesting discussion and a demonstration that this is an absolutely valid extended access list when used in a distribute list in BGP.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc0d8ea

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, there is a very strong possibility that the person that entered this command didn't had a clue about what he/she was doing, as it doesn't seems to have any practical applications.

Sometime people with a territorial attitude intentionally enter obscure and unnecessary commands, in order to retain authority in the workplace. This may or may not be the case here.

Hi bevilacqua,

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards

Anantha also posted this question in the LAN Switching and Routing forum where there was an interesting discussion and a demonstration that this is an absolutely valid extended access list when used in a distribute list in BGP.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc0d8ea

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick, of course you are correct.

I had forgot about the old technique where source matches prefix and destination matches prefix-length, that predates the current prefix-list.

A more complete config snippet would have prevented the confusion for which I apologize.

Paolo

Absolutely right !

The first thing that I said in my response in the other forum was to ask about the context of using the access list. If it had been mentioned that it was a BGP distribute list then there would have been no confusion.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi All,

Sorry,didn't explained it better ....Once again thanks for all your help

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: