Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP multicast

ccnp_seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an issue with an EIGRP speaker router. Actually the remote site is connected trough a network that does not allow multicast traffic. This makes the adjancencies being down.

I read about the "neighbor" command, which will make the router to send unicast hellos....

Has somebody hava an issue like this, where makes the EIGRP process to send Unicast Hellos instead of Multicast?

regards..

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Using the neighbor statement would definitely be the way to go if the common subnet between the two routers doesn't support multicast.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I've read that when using the neighbor command, the interfaces stop processing multicast at all. Will this not be an issue if I have the Central Site interface with subinterfaces? I mean, doing this will make the interface stop processing multicast, but I have some other remote sites which do support multicast....

Yes, Configuring neighbor command will stops EIGRP from processing inbound multicast EIGRP packet and will stop sending multicast EIGRP packet via that interface.

Can you explain your setup?...

Do you have different subnets for each remote site.?

While configuring neighbor command, we need to specify the interface as well. So If you have 2 remote site connected to different sub interface of your central site(each remote site will be in different subnet), configuring neighbor command for one remote site will not affect the other.

But if all the remote sites are in same subnet (Connected via same interface of central site), you may need to configure neighbor command for all neighbors.

HTH,

Nagendra

Ok, thanks for your explanation...

The setup is a Central Router with subinterfaces for each remote site, an each subinterface has a different subnet. My ISP give me a L2 link from each remote site to the central site, so I configure a dot1q subinterface for each remote site.

I was worried about as all the remote sites ends in the same physical interface, using the neighbor command will stop processing ALL multicast traffic, for all subinterfaces....

thanks again....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card