Views
Helpful
Replies

remote span

habouzyad
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I have a 4507R Switch,and a 4 switchs 3550. i want configure a remote Span ( from some ports in each switchs to a unique port in the 4507R). could you help me with an example of configuration?!

many thanks

Hicham

1 Accepted Solution
3 Replies 3

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Please see this link,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/span.html

Step 1.

Switch(config)# vlan 901

Switch(config-vlan)# remote span

Switch(config-vlan)# end

Step 2. Assuming gigabitethernet0/1 is the port that you want to sniff

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source interface gigabitethernet0/1 both

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 901

Switch(config)# end

To get the information that is flowing to the remote VLAN (on our case 901), this needs to be done on the switch where you have the device that will receive the RSPAN traffic.

Step 3.

Switch(config)# vlan 901

Switch(config-vlan)# remote span

Switch(config-vlan)# end

Step 4. Assuming gig0/5 is the port where you have the PC/server with the shiff capture software.

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source remote vlan 901

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface gig0/5

Switch(config)# end

All the switches on the path between initial switch and ending switch should have the remote VLAN, follow step 3 , also VTP pruning should be disable in order to allow the VLAN to be enabled and present on all the switches.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

Hi,

In Remote switch where device will received RSPAN traffic, if i have some source ports there to verify , can i have them in same session ?

Regards,

Chintan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card