Please help me to select a Cisco core-switch!

Unanswered Question
Jun 10th, 2008

Hi all,

Anybody can help me to select a proper Cisco Core-Switch?

Some of the needed specifications are below:

1- At least 08 Gbit Ethernet - RG45 copper connector

2- At least 12 fiber gigabit module bases

3- At least 12 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber ports (Populated)

4- Manageable Gigabit Ethernet Net Switch with layer 2, 3 and 4 services

5- Modular chassis basis architecture

6- Layers 2 through 4 hardware-based switch engine (ASIC-based)

7- Hardware based ACLs, router ACLs, VLAN ACLs

8- Protocols: Support for IPv6RIPv1, RIPv2 routing function. support for EIGRP-stub. Hot Standby Router Protocol. IGMP vers 1,2,3.

10- Forwarding bandwidth: Scalable upto 64 Gbps or higher...

11- MAC support up to 32000 MAC or more...

Any information, ideas, guidance or link to make the decision easier will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
l_masoumi Tue, 06/10/2008 - 10:36

Hi Niranjan

Thank you for help... I found WS-C6503-E product to be the one I need.. but still not really clear about how many ports and which type of ports this product already has(without adding any module to it). I thought I might need to add a module to 6503 chassis, to be able to have 12 Gigabit Ethernet fiber ports, but not sure if I'm correct?!

I went through the data sheets and tried to understand these things but unsuccessful.

One more, I believe for the rest of my requirement I need to add Supervisor Engine 720 module to this chassis which will occupy 2 slots out of 3 available. Then for having 12 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber ports, if adding a module is the solution, will that one slot be enough?

Thanks again for the help.

Best Regards,

l_masoumi Tue, 06/10/2008 - 10:46

Thanks Joseph for help.. I think I better go for Catalyst 6503-E according to the other requirements I have.

This Discussion