Cisco Home Lab Setup Issues

Unanswered Question
Jun 10th, 2008

I have two routers with me and i am trying to set up a homelab. One of the router is 2500 series which has two serial ports and an Ethernet port and Tokenring Interface.

The other router that i have is 2612 with one ethernet port. I would like to get a serial interface module so that i can connect these two routers via the serial interface.

Can any one suggest me which would be a good place to buy add on modules and will these 2 routes suffice my needs to do CCNA lab.

Thanks

Belur

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
celticfc2007 Tue, 06/10/2008 - 23:42

Hi Belur,

You need to research the 2612, and see which WIC module you need for it, then you need some DTE/DCE (back-to-back) cables, check ebay. You'll definitely want another router 25xx or 26xx is fine, and you'll want between 1 and 3 switches, whatever fits your budget.

You'll find more advice and suggestions here:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/odom

Good Luck

srue Wed, 06/11/2008 - 09:55

you need a wic-1t and a db60 dte/dce crossover cable to connect your two routers. i dont' believe you'll be able to do frame relay with that set up. you need a 3 rd router to act as a frame switch, with at least two wic-1t's, to which the other routers will then plug into.

narasimhan.belur Wed, 06/11/2008 - 10:28

Thank you all for the information. I guess will get the wan card and then also get an extra router that way i could simulate a frame cloud.

Eric Hansen Fri, 06/13/2008 - 05:40

There is also Dynamips if you are unable to procure the hardware you need.

Actions

This Discussion