cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7 and 10 digit dialing UC 500

glenn.iltis
Level 1
Level 1

Locally, we have 7 digit dialing in the 214 area code. There are also surrounding areas in an 830 area code that have an option to have a “metro" line that allows 10 digit dialing without tolls. I need to be able to dial 7 digits locally, 10 digits to the 830 area code and 1 + dialing to the 830 area code. Can someone send me commands to accomplish this?

25 Replies 25

Hello,

Try this:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 9[2-9]......

incoming called-number .

port x/x/x (fxo or pri)

forward-digits 7

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 91830.......

incoming called-number .

port x/x/x

forward-digits 11

dial-peer voice 3 pots

destination-pattern 9830.......

incoming called-number .

port x/x/x

forward-digits 10

Hope that helped.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, can you clarify this?

10 digits to the 830 area code and 1 + dialing to the 830 area code

And, do you have pots line(s) ?

Yes, some 830 area code numbers require 1+ dialing, others purchase the "metro" option that enables 10 digit dialing without tolls.

Yes, I am using pots lines. Sorry I did not mention that.

And how would you know which exchange codes are covered by the unnmetered plan?

That knowledge is necessary for you to configure things transparently for the user.

Right now, the 830 area code is the only area code in their region that offers the unnmetered option.

Is that what you asking?

Sorry, I'm totally confused (also from another similar thread ...)

Can you explain to me like to a dummy, how to to properly call exchanges in the 830 area code ?

We need to either dial 9, 830 xxx-xxxx

or 9, 1 830 xxx-xxxx.

Right, and what is the discriminant for calling one or the other way ?

Right now, I can't dial 9, 830 xxx-xxx. It stops after 7 digits. So to return calls to the customers with these metro lines we have to use the fax line's phone.

I hope I'm making sense.

Hello Glenn,

I think what Paulo is asking, is how do you differentiate when you need to dial 1-830-xxx-xxxx as opposed to 830-xxx-xxxx?

However, in any instance, the dial peers above should work.

Add this dial peer and see if you can now 10 digit dial the 830 area code:

dial-peer voice 3 pots

destination-pattern 9830.......

incoming called-number .

port x/x/x

forward-digits 10

You probably can only send 7 digits because you only have a dial peer that is set to forward 7 digits.

Thank's. And just so I am clear, I have 6 pots lines using the fxo ports. where you have port x/x/x. Does an integer replace the x or do I actually use the x?

When you have multiple lines, the best thing is to handle them all together as a trunk:

voice-port 0/x/y

trunk-group fxo

[repeat for all FXO ports]

dial-peer voice 100 pots

destination-pattern

trunkgroup fxo

This way the number of DP is sensibly reduced. And yes, you have to replace x and y with the actual port numbering on your router.

Not only Kenneth has understood my question, but further to that, if there is a billing difference when calling without 1 to certain exchanges in 830, if you could list which these exchanges are (probably a LATA search would reveal), you can configure things so that no matter if 1 or no 1 is dialed, the router always calls appropriately and in the most economical manner.

Hope that makes some sense ?

I cannot tell you both how much I appreciate this information.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: