cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IMUX for T1

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

ISP just asked me to provide IMUX for T1 in the state. Can someone recommend a model also a WIC card to use with the imux for a 2801 cisco router. is there anything else i need to terminate the T1?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you explain in which context the ISP asked for an IMUX ?

You don't need anything like that to connect a T1, you can use a WIC-1DSU-T1 in a 2801 and you don't need anything else.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

i ordered 2 T1's. they told me they are terminating the T1's on IMUX and present the T1's as a single connection to the cisco router!

Also they mentioned Larscom Mega-T 241C to ensure compatibility with the unit at their ITOC!

are they getting confused?

If you are "forced" to use HW IMUX, you must purchase the device they have indicated. Cisco doesn't make any HW IMUX and does not resell neither recommend any third-party one.

This will result in additional costs not only for the IMUX device itself, but also for the high speed interface to the router that could be an HSSI - again check with ISP.

The alternative is to run either CEF load balancing or MLPPP directly on the T1 circuits. That is what is done routinely in networks worldwide and works very well. It doesn't need any device neither at your or their site.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi

IMUX been asked sometime in a situation where you have subscribed for a 2Mbps pipe where you have E1 standards and on the other side you have T1 standards in practice and you dont get a 2Mbps with T1 line.

So the ISPs actually combine terminate the T1s onto the IMUX and get you a 2Mbps pipe in place so its 2Mbps end to end.

Witnessed few cases like this in international private leased circuits runnning between different continents.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card