cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failed upgrade leaves CUE unbootable

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

A failed upgrade from 2.3.4 to 3.0.3 has left my CUE unbootable. Right now I can get to the boot loader menu but if I try to boot from disk the system hangs a few lines after running a file called rc.aesop. How can I recover from this? I am not interested in saving any data or configs. I just need my CUE running again.

Thanks,

Diego

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

carlnewton
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Diego,

if you search CCO there are many documents describing how to upgrade/install software from the bootloader. You will need an extra file from the software package, apart from that It shouldnt be too hard, just different.

Let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can your try booting the bootloader via TFTP ?

carlnewton
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Diego,

if you search CCO there are many documents describing how to upgrade/install software from the bootloader. You will need an extra file from the software package, apart from that It shouldnt be too hard, just different.

Let us know how you get on.

I have a feeling that Diego is using an UC520 and the bootloader may be different or not even released at all.

Yes, I am using a UC520. The problem is the docs that I have found pertaining to install/upgrade seem to use commands that are run from the CUE when the CUE is running. My CUE is not running. Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing:

Cisco BootMon Version: 1Bootmon: reading primary bootloader image

Bootmon: calling bootloader

Cisco ServiceEngine Bootloader Version: 1.0.2

(Feb 27 2007 - 01:38:50) MPC83XX

Resetting devices ....Done.

mac address for internal ethernet 00:1b:58:e4:52:be

Please enter '***' to change boot configuration: ***

ServicesEngine Bootloader Version : 1.0.2

ServicesEngine boot-loader> help

? - alias for 'help'

boot - boot from specified src

config - configure various params

help - print online help

ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host

reboot - Perform RESET of the CPU

show - show config, trace or version

verify - verify software versions

ServicesEngine boot-loader> boot ?

Usage:

boot

boot helper - boot helper using TFTP

boot disk - boot image using compact or usb flash as root filesystem

ServicesEngine boot-loader>

I have the CUE 3.0.3 install package but the instructions for how to use it don't seem apply to this situation.

Thanks,

Diego

When in that menu, you have to "config" to set TFTP parameters, then "boot helper".

If you can't find a boot helper file specific for the UC520, try using the regular CUE one.

Thanks guys. I was able to find a doc that explained the bootloader based upgrade/install procedure and that worked for me.

Rgds,

Diego