cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reloading edge router

WabukiSensei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have this 2811 router which runs 4 E1 connections bundled as a single Multilink for internet purposes. When the internet suddenly goes slow, I am forced to restart this edge router, thus causing downtime for our internet connection. The thing is, no problems or errors were detected on the router except that when we do a trace route, our next hope takes >600 ms. Normally this would be less than 10 ms. I am unable to pinpoint where the problem might be as the interfaces and SNMP do not detect any issues. No buffer failures or misses. Is there something that I'm missing that could be the cause of this? This is starting to happen on a daily basis and I have no clue what to tell our users about it. But yes, restarting the router does solve the issue. Appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Recommend upgrade to 12.4(3j) and check again.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact IOS are you using ?

Hi, this is what 'show version' says:

2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(8)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Recommend upgrade to 12.4(3j) and check again.

Thanks for the tip, is there a known issue with 12.3(8r)T7 that I should be aware of?

Thanks again!

Older IOS versions have many bugs, so upgrade to latest stable release is the best way to avoid inexplicable problems.

Hi,

Thanks again for your response. I just checked my router with a show buffer commands and this is what i got:

Buffer elements:

497 in free list (500 max allowed)

171827 hits, 0 misses, 0 created

Public buffer pools:

Small buffers, 104 bytes (total 99, permanent 50, peak 208 @ 07:41:07):

97 in free list (20 min, 150 max allowed)

150433 hits, 491 misses, 182 trims, 231 created

70 failures (0 no memory)

Middle buffers, 600 bytes (total 25, permanent 25, peak 47 @ 07:41:07):

21 in free list (10 min, 150 max allowed)

4090 hits, 51 misses, 43 trims, 43 created

24 failures (0 no memory)

It seems that the middle buffers and small buffers have had a couple misses. I also noticed that my multilink interface shows an increasing number of 'ignored' packets. Is this somehow related? I haven't upgraded the IOS yet as that will take some time, but in the meantime that's what I've noticed.

Thanks once again!

Hi, no buffer failure justifies data corruption and performance slowdown.

Since you're running in a bug, you need to upgrade IOS to get rid of the problem.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I went ahead and increased the buffer sizes anyway and upgraded to a more recent IOS version. Things seem to be working fine now.

You can also use buffers auto-tune. It works very well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: