Disappointed: ICND2 Score = 804

Unanswered Question
Jun 11th, 2008

Ugh! I'm so disappointed today. I was really confident going into this exam. I really wish I had about 10 more minutes to finish the test. I was really worried I would run out of time. I ended the finished the last question with 00:39 on the clock. Does anyone have any pointers for being more swift? I had a couple sim questions right off the bat. I'm so bummed. I think I'm going to try again in 2 weeks.

David

Overall Rating: 2 (1 ratings)
Collin Clark Wed, 06/11/2008 - 07:49

David-

Do you know what slowed you down? Where did you do poorly (from the exam report)?

davidschuetz Wed, 06/11/2008 - 08:00

I scored poorly on troubleshooting basic operation and routing on Cisco devices. This is a surprise to me, but maybe I haven't seen enough connection errors/problems in my labs. Also my NAT and ACL config could use work. I do agree with this, I need more practice.

David

davidschuetz Wed, 06/11/2008 - 08:02

I scored poorly on troubleshooting basic operation and routing on Cisco devices. This is a surprise to me, but maybe I haven't seen enough connection errors/problems in my labs. Also my NAT and ACL config could use work. I do agree with this, I need more practice.

I know I spent too much time on one of the sims. I had to reconfigure the IP addresses probably the one question that slowed me down from the start.

David

Eric Hansen Wed, 06/11/2008 - 09:33

Maybe some more lab time would help? I know when I walked out of my CCNA the first thing the little voice in my head said was "I should have done more labs". Hit the dynamips/dynagen, Personally I recrated most of the Scenario questions that were in the official exam guide in Dynamips, or at least all the routing protocol one and the VTP/VLAN Scenario's. I also hit the internet for some challenge labs.

Sorry to hear about your score, that is so frustrating. Whatever you do dont give up, I know its hard but dont let this stop you or slow you down. You can totally beat this. Keep the wind in your sails, hit the books, and retake the test soon. You will do great.

e-

celticfc2007 Wed, 06/11/2008 - 10:26

I'm working on my ICND2 right now. I see a lot of people have problems with ACLs, its not something I've spent too much time on so far, but since so many people have had probs with it, I plan on turning it into a strength before test time.

The only suggestions I have besides being fully prepared before taking the exam are:

subnetting: If you find it easy, thats great, but practice a little each day in the run up to the test, to keep your speed up.

watch the clock: On my ICND1, I was starting to think I was running out of time and I hadn't done my sim yet, so I tried to speed up as best I could, quickly confirming the answers I selected, instead of pondering over them.

I'm a little apprehensive about taking my ICND2, because now I've got some time constraints. I'm booking my test soon and hoping to take it the first week of July, but if I'm not ready, I'll push it back a couple weeks.

For the ICND1 I felt fully prepared and confident going into the test center, I need to have that same vibe for the ICND2.

Good luck

junshah22 Thu, 06/12/2008 - 01:45

Hey.... don't disappoint,,

I failed in CCNA 640-801 three times,, then I plan to complete it in Parts,, I passed CCENT ICND1 two months earlier,, and THANKS GOD... I completed my CCNA ICND2 today with a score of 888

Keep it UP... and you will get positive results...

Regards,

Junaid

sirdudesly Thu, 06/12/2008 - 01:59

I failed my CCNA combined the first time around (it was an older version where it focussed alot of ISDN, something that was obviously difficult to get practice of even in a lab -- and I was at high school as well so not like I was using it for a job)

howtonetwork Wed, 06/18/2008 - 01:13

I think many people fail the first time around. It can often be nerves so you know your stuff but somehow it goes just when you need it.

If you want to brush up on access lists there are some good videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=access+list&search_type=

Keeping going and you will do just fine.

Paul Browning

www.howtonetwork.net

www.subnetting-secrets.com

www.networksinc.co.uk

Brian Moore Thu, 06/19/2008 - 20:06

Don't get discouraged, I had a similar experience and bounced back. I took the composite exam, and failed with somewhere around 780 the first time. I too found that I was racing against the clock, and only had a few minutes left when I finished (I skipped a long problem with about 10 to go because I was short on time).

Long story short, I came back and passed the composite yesterday with a 960 and a few minutes to spare. Here's a couple tips that worked for me:

1. Remember the formats of the questions you had; you'll face the same formats when you retake the exam. There were a couple that caught me off guard the first time through.

2. I went back and re-read any sections of the ICND books I felt I didn't know VERY well. The first time I took the exam I thought I knew everything. The second time I took the exam, I KNEW I knew everything.

3. Know how to configure everything presented in the books; anything from ACLs to NAT to EIGRP to STP and everything in between is fair game. If it's in the Cisco press books and you can't go on a router or switch and confidently configure the given feature, it'll cost you time and points on the exam.

4. ? is your friend in the simulators (and real life).

jasonwharrison Wed, 07/16/2008 - 12:27

I failed ICDN 2 the first time as well. My mother in law suggested testking to me. It was great. No sim questions (I still should have spent more time in a lab!!!), but the format was the same and the questions were very similar. I passed the test this morning.

Actions

This Discussion