Automate IP PHone background deployment

Unanswered Question
Jun 11th, 2008

All,

Are there tools out there that would change the default logo on a phone like 796x/797x without the user having to go and select the logo from User settings ? I have looked at this,

http://www.voipintegration.com/software.html

But i dont think this tool can do bulk updates.

Thoughts ??

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Michael Owuor Wed, 06/11/2008 - 16:13

Hi Sankar,

I would suggest working with the folks at voipintegration.com to see if they could enhance their product to do the bulk updates. Also check out the products from other Solution Partners such as these to see if they can do it:

- Radianta

- LiteScape

- IPcelerate

Since this is a feature not presently available, you could also work with your Cisco Account team to submit a product enhancement request.

The Phone Personalization feature that is roadmapped for the 7.0 release is expected to allow end users to create and upload their background images and ringtones. It won't, however, provide an admin the ability to change the background in bulk.

Hope this helps a lil :-)

Regards,

Michael.

thisisshanky Wed, 06/11/2008 - 18:40

Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. We do partner with Litescape/IPCelerate. I dont see any background image deployment tools currently with their product list. I will check with Voip integration about the bulk portion.

Good to hear abt the Phone Personalization feature on 7.0

On another note, Cisco internally has such a large deployment of IP Phones. What do you guys use to change logos (When you guys did last year).

Darren Parkinson Thu, 06/26/2008 - 06:45

Could you please post some information to the forum. I'm not asking you to post any scripts etc., just an outline of the method you chose to implement this.

Thanks.

Tim Smith Wed, 06/18/2008 - 01:55

Hi Sankar,

I've figured it out.. :)

It isnt too difficult.

How many phones you looking to do at a time?

Cheers,

Tim

shawilson Thu, 06/19/2008 - 08:56

Hi Tim,

I am also very interested in how to do this.

Thanks,

Shawn

Tim Smith Fri, 06/20/2008 - 00:55

Hi Guys,

Have a check of the latest version of the voip integration tool...

I believe it should allow application to an entire cluster, a device pool or a single phone.

Cheers,

Tim

Darren Parkinson Fri, 07/18/2008 - 00:05

I agree, the tool certainly didnn't work for me, and it certainly didn't work with CM6 either.

I just wanted to know how it worked because I tried the keyboard macro approach, but it is very flakey since you can't guarantee the order the keystrokes will occur, it was a bit hit and miss to be honest.

I wondered if the tool did it in a better way, so I emailed the author quite some time ago and never got a response, so I think we could safely assume any updates on this tool are unlikely...

blackmichael Thu, 09/18/2008 - 10:15

Tim

I am sure you have gotten a ton of messages. How did you make it work.

Tim Smith Thu, 09/18/2008 - 11:02

Hi,

I never finished it off 100% :) moved onto something else!

But basically sent a series of web requests to the phone's web service.

There is an ip phone execute object that lets you remote control the phone.

I just put in a series of key presses to simulate changing the wallpaper.

Not perfect but it did work.

I believe Cisco has a personalisation product available now, that will work with 6.x and 7.x possibly.

I ran my script from IIS as an ASP page.. but the guys below did it much simpler with WGET.

Have a look here:

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-voip/2006-September/015306.html

Cheers,

Tim

Actions

This Discussion