Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot telnet switch after remote reload

prashanttekam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I used reload command and after that when the switch came back up i can ping it however it wont let me telnet in;

as i try to telnet it shows password:

and as i try and put in tht it says connection lost; However teh ping results doesnt show any flaps....

4 Replies 4

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

Is the connection lost only after you enter the password? Please try to see how much time the connection stays up when you dont give the password. This will help is troubleshoot if the timeout of vty session is set too low.

Are you able to get the console access?

Regards,

Niranjan

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

What lead you to do a reload?

Was the reload performed after making changes to the configuration?

Prior to the reload, was the running-config different from the startup-config (i.e.: a configuration change that went un-noticed)?

If you use a sniffer to examine the Telnet session, you'll have a better idea of whether the TCP connection is being reset, or whether your credentials are the issue.

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe the telnet password was not set or saved. You get "connection lost" message after you make maximum unsuccessful attempts to login.

You might want to console into the switch and set the telnet password and save it using "write" command.

This could also be because of IP conflict issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: